Thursday, April 7, 2011

JCs HP MINI [LIFE]

I posted this to share to you all what I use on my tiny laptop or netbook. Netbooks are limited because of its size and what’s inside the system compared to a more powerful and big laptops. I’m happy with my laptop even though its small and its limited but I still managed to customized it and make it pretty.

Photobucket

Lets start off with what’s inside the system.

System:

Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 2
Intel ® Atom ™
CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
1.60 GHz, 504 MB of RAM
8GB (only) Hard Drive
Screen Resolution: 1024 x 600

Photobucket

Even though I only have 8GB of disk space (C:), this netbook came with a 2GB removable drive and I also got a 4GB memory card for it. Every time I install a software or I download stuffs I use my 4GB memory card. Not all softwares can be installed in a removable drive though so I have no choice but to install it on drive C. My friend installed a recovery on my 2GB removable drive because I turned off my system recovery because it eats a lot of the memory so I just have to boot it on my 2GB drive in case my netbook gets broken.

Photobucket

Photobucket

PhotobucketAppearance, since my netbook is limited to a 1024 x 600 screen resolution I have to customize the screen. I enabled auto-hide on my task bar so that I can maximize the screen and installed rocketdock so that all my applications will be in one place. I also made a little tweak on my cursors and icons appearance. Both my cursors and default icons are mac os designs so that it’ll look fresh.



Photobucket

What I use: Softwares and utilities that I use on my netbook. This is where I need to be choosy and wise in choosing the softwares because my disk space is limited.

Utilities:

ESET NOD32 AntiVirus 4. Ever since I got ESET I loved it, its easy to use and easy to clean files but it can’t completely remove viruses though, it’ll just clean it and when you reboot, its back. None the less it’s a thumbs up for me.

Tune Up Utilities 2008. This software is a great help to scan and fix your system if there’s something not right. It can also customize the look, whether the boot screen, startup screen, icons, etc. This is what I used in changing the look of my default icons into mac os.

Photobucket

Space Sniffer. This is a freeware that you can download, it basically scans your drives and gives you a detailed look of what’s inside your drive.

Photobucket

Battery Monitor 1.1.12. I got this from my classmate. He showed me how it works. The thing I love about it other that monitoring your battery (obviously) is that you can customize the sound whenever when your laptop is fully charged or the battery is low.

Photobucket

uTorrent. This is probably this lightest bittorent client. Its only 400+KB I think. I’ve been using this for years now.

Media:

NCH Video Pad Video Editor. This is the only video editor that suited my netbook because my previous ones can’t fit in a 1024 x 600 screen. The only features that I like about this are cropping and it can read a lot of video formats.

Windows Media Player and Movie Maker. As we all know these softwares are stock but I use it sometimes. If only movie maker has the two features I mentioned in Video Pad this’ll probably be my default video editor.

Total Video Converter. This is my favorite converter off all, it has a wide variety of video/audio formats to choose from and you can also crop videos with it.

VLC Media Player. This can read almost all video formats and the thing I love the most is you can play the video on the desktop. Now that’s gangster.

Virtual DJ Pro. This software is mainly used to mix songs. Add effects and stuffs. What I like about this is the automix feature, you play your playlist and it mixes it like a DJ does.

Photobucket

Photo Manipulators:

Adobe Photoshop 8.0. Vintage right here. I really love editing photos especially using photoshop and since my disk space is limited I had to get the oldest photoshop version, its only 200MB I think. I use CS5 on dads laptop so it’s balanced. LOL

Photoscape. This is a common photo editor. It has a lot of features and I’m telling you, you can do a lot with it and the best thing is, it’s free.


Office:

Microsoft Office Professional 2003. I know it’s already 2011 and office 2010 is already out there but I prefer office 2003 because its light and fast. I only installed word, exel and powerpoint because that’s the only things I use.

Notepad ++. I use this because I am an IT student and when it comes to hard coding this software is the shit. I can also use notepad that came with XP but its nothing compared to notepad ++.

Microsoft Visual Fox Pro 9.0. I have the same reason with the notepad ++. But with this you can design the look of your form. We use this on my database management systems (DBMS) class.

Foxit Reader. This is a great alternative to adobe pdf reader. This software is lighter compared to adobe’s.

TugZip. This is what I use to unzip/zip files.

Browsers:

Mozilla Firefox 4. I have been a loyal user of firefox, especially when firefox 4 came. I love it. My theme for my firefox 4 is Bloomind FT Graphite Glow.

Photobucket

Comodo Dragon. I know right? The name is kinda funny but this is a serious browser. A great alternative to google chrome and its based on chromium like chromes. So the apps/themes of google chrome are all compatible with comodo.

Photobucket


Social Network/IM:

Tweetdeck. I love tweetdeck because I tweet a lot and you can follow me on twitter. @supJC

Skype. Who doesn’t have skype? I think almost everyone has.

I also customized the startup and shutdown tone of my netbook, watch.



With all of this I still managed to have 3.5GB on C:. 2.5GB on both of my removable drives. I may have a limited disk space and screen resolution but that wont stop me from maximizing the capacity of my netbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment